FESTIVAL QUICK LINKS: Program | Opening GALA | List of Films | Closing Night | | 48 HR Film Challenge | Filmmaker/Composer Collaboration | Directing Masterclass | First Cut | Script2Screen | Symposium | Steering Group | Sponsors | Venues | Submit Your Film | Guests
We are proud to present the 3rd Annual CaribbeanTales film festival in Barbados, a multifaceted forum that takes place on the beautiful south coast of the island.
A highlight of the regional cultural calendar ever since it was launched 3 years ago, It has become an important annual film event in Barbados, focused not only on screening the best Caribbean films, but also on developing industry practitioners, creating networking opportunities, seeking solutions to challenges facing the sector, as well as facilitating the marketing and distribution of indigenous film products.
and at selected venues in Barbados:
Pro Photo (Sheraton Centre)
Mpowered (Mall Internationale)
Big B Supermarket
Super Centre Sunset Crest
April 11 – OPENING GALA: This year’s Gala screening is “SING YOUR SONG” at Frank Collymore Hall – the award-winning story of artist/activist Harry Belafonte’s extraordinary life. This film opened the Sundance Film Festival in 2011 to wide acclaim: “Inspiring, compelling and deeply beautiful”.
April 12 – 14 – FILM FESTIVAL: 8 Official Selection Feature films and 16 Shorts are in Competition for the Audience Prize, selected from 15 countries around the Region . These will screen throughout the week at George Washington House, at 7 and 9 pm and all day Saturday.
APRIL 15 – CLOSING NIGHT : Reception and screening of the multi-award winning Jamaican feature film Better Mus’ Come, will take place at the Olympus Cinemas. Awards presented for Best Feature Film, Best 48Hr. Challenge Film.
APRIL 13 – SYMPOSIUM: A one-day forum that addresses urgent issues facing the regional film industry. The forum engages industry stakeholders, policy-makers, private sector, and the public at large in vigorous debate on the strategies necessary for the lucrative development of a world-class Caribbean industry.
INCUBATOR SERIES: Activities aimed to help film/television professionals develop world-class content by honing their skills in the continuum from script development to distribution, this year’s incubator comprises 5 targeted Content Labs:
* SCRIPT2SCREEN Screenplay Clinic – aimed at improving the skills of screen writers. Three selected short scripts will receive staged readings, performed by local actors. These will be critiqued by a panel of experts, and benefit from constructive audience feedback.
* 48 Hr. Film Challenge - An opportunity for teams of filmmakers from across the region to stretch their creativity and test their skills by creating exciting, imaginative, thought-provoking and engaging films, in just 48 hours! The challenge is open to all – from the first time film maker or student to the veteran of 30 years!
* Directing MasterClass - A workshop with Susanne Rostock, award-winning director of “SING YOUR SONG”.
* Filmmaker – Composer Collaboration -Matching filmmakers with composers, this 3 day workshop explores the process of scoring (composing) for film. The goal is to familiarize participants with what it takes to effectively compose music for motion picture, and for those who already have some experience, it will be a chance to improve the skills they already have.
* FIRST CUT - 1 Feature film and one short feature by first time narrative directors, are selected for presentation in this special Creative/Market Lab. These films are in the final stages of post production and FIRST CUT gives them the opportunity to receive expert feedback that will allow them to prepare them for the international market place.